Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Doubting the Viability of Vocational Arts Education? Don't.

One of the hardest and most frustrating things about being at a vocational college -- any vocational college -- is combating the stigma that students at these institutions are not cut out for anyplace else. And, as anyone who has ever attended art school is intimately aware, saying that our particular vocational college is for artists tends to ellicit an even more skeptical reaction from the non-believers. (Or, as I like to call them, the "pre-converts.")

From the very beginning of my time here (I've been at Flashpoint Academy for a little over 7 months now) it was evident that this was not the case with our students. Intelligent, well-spoken, creative, and extremely driven, the picture of your "average" Flashpoint student is anything but average.

I've seen them do amazing things. They've made festival-winning movies, produced music videos for national acts, developed video games that have impressed even your most prestigious game development companies, and created animations for real Hollywood features. A far cry from those at Le Institut de Refrigeration Repair, Flashpoint students constantly raise the bar not just for themselves and their classmates but for vocational education as a whole. It’s a truly remarkable thing to be a part of.

Recently, more than ever, I’ve been blown away by the work ethic and sheer talent I’ve witnessed around me. It occurred to me that even I, one of the foremost proponents of Flashpoint’s educational model, was not fully aware of the gifts our students have. Want to be impressed? Read first-year student Emily Greenquist’s winning entry into the Game Career Guide Game Design Challenge, or fall into second year student Pete Stilwell’s short story, “Embers.” While you’re at it, check out the amazing review of film alum Michael Noens’ latest feature film, Coasting. I dare you to find a more concentrated crop of talented young minds anywhere – 4 year colleges, I’m talking to you.

In short, the students at Flashpoint are proving that vocational and art education isn’t just for those who can’t make it anywhere else. It’s for those who wouldn’t waste their time doing anything but the things that move them. To me, although few paths are less traveled in traditional education, there is no more proven formula for lifelong happiness and success. And if this isn't how we should measure the value of education, then I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment